Tuesday, July 22, 2008

The Nation's Capital

Washington, DC was very different from the last few times I was there. The National Mall was trampled from the 4th of July celebrations and I lamented the fact that you can no longer climb the Washington Monument (my brother and I did waaaaaaay back when and it took around 45-60 minutes to get to the top if I remember correctly). But walking the 5 mile Mall loop was very cool at dusk. You can stand in front of the Smithsonian and see the Capital to the left and the Washington to the right. We then walked past George's spot and the Reflection Pool to the World War Monument that represented every state and had tons of fountains. It was beautiful. Behind there to the right is the Vietnam Memorial and then the Lincoln Memorial back to the left. Past Lincoln is the Jefferson Memorial. You have to do this trip at least once. Impressive is an understatement.

I was actually there for the NASPE (National Association for Sport and Physical Education) meeting. This was my first official meeting in what wil be a three year stint. The next one will be in Tampa at the AAHPERD national convention. There are folks from all levels of sport and physical education helping to identify issues and needs in this area of education. My role is in youth coaching education. We wrote some position statements, nominated individuals for national awards, planned convention details, and networked. The Mall loop walk was a bonus for getting lots of work done and getting out early on that day.

Actually before the walk marathon, we dropped by the Verizon center (where Georgetown, the NHL Capitals, and WNBA Washington Mystics play. The Mystics were playing the Detroit Shock. It was a blow-out with the Shock up 26. We left at the half and started the walk.

All in all, a very productive weekend... Then I got home, reality set in and I cut the grass.

No comments: